A Brief History of the Elstow site, that is now Wixams
1939 Work commenced on Royal Ordnance Factory(ROF) Elstow one of sixteen UK Ministry of Supply, World War II, Filling Factories. It was a medium-sized filling factory, which filled and packed munitions. Located south of Bedford, between the villages of Elstow and Wilstead, the site was bounded on the northeast by the A6 and on the west by a railway line.
1941 Work completed on ROF and managed by J Lyons on behalf of the Ministry of Supply.
1942 ROF Elstow started filling munitions.
1943 Elstow was used to store surplus ammunition components and machine tools.
1946 ROF Elstow closed.
1969 The CEGB (Central Electricity Generating Board) took over the site with the intention of building a power station but this never came to fruition.
1980’s Elstow was proposed as a site for a UK nuclear waste repository. This was opposed by Bedfordshire residents and the proposal was dropped. The site then used for warehousing and factory outlets.
1998 Plans for a new town consisting of 4,500 homes on Elstow Storage Depot unveiled by Mid Bedfordshire District Council and Bedford Borough Council.
2007 Work began on the new town of Wixams on the site
2008 Realigned A6 road opened
2009 First residents move into new homes
2011 First minister appointed to the Church in Wixams.